Lithuania's police on Monday launched a pre-trial investigation into the recent hacking of the website of Joint Staff of the Lithuanian Armed Forces. The website itself is now shut down for upgrading.
© Reuters/Scanpix

Captain Donatas Suchockis, PR officer of the Lithuanian army's Joint Staff, told BNS that army representatives had handed over information on the hacking incident, collected by the National Cyber Security Centre, to the police.

Ramūnas Matonis, head of the Police Department's Communication Division, told BNS a pre-trial investigation had been launched based on Part 1 of Chapter 198 of Lithuania's Criminal Code, stipulating criminal liability, a fine of up to three years in prison, for the appropriation of computer information, protected by law, about a legal or natural person.

False information was published on the website last Wednesday after it was hacked. The statement said that one of the aims of the Exercise Saber Strike was to prepare for the annexation of the Russian region of Kaliningrad.

BNS
It is prohibited to copy and republish the text of this publication without a written permission from UAB „BNS“.

Ex presidential candidate Juozaitis becomes party leader

Former presidential candidate philosopher Arvydas Juozaitis was on Saturday elected chairman of the...

Proposal to make Jan 13 public holiday registered

Two lawmakers from the opposition conservative Homeland Union – Lithuanian Christian Democrats...

Telemedicine services to be launched next year

Lithuania plans to launch telemedicine services for district and regional hospitals as of next year.

From transgender person to Karbauskis' son: 2020 military list (1)

Five players of Lithuania's two top basketball teams, two members of the national football team, a...

Lithuania's population grows for 1st time in 28 years

Lithuania's population has grown for the first time in 28 years due to migration trends, the...