Prime Minister Algirdas Butkevičius intends to submit to the Lithuanian parliament amended laws on labour relations and social security as soon as possible. Therefore the Government will discuss the new social model for the last time on 8 June.
Algirdas Butkevičius
© DELFI / Tomas Vinickas

According to Butkevičius, this is a matter of urgency because, he says, Lithuania's competitiveness must be improved and wages and pensions increased.

"We do not intend to discuss such projects for a year or two. The situation requires for competitiveness, people's income and pensions to grow in every country," said the prime minister.

According to Butkevičius, the amendments are aimed to protect employee interests and to guarantee that they receive severance pay. The prime minister said that the existing regulation of labour relations did not meet employee interests. The head of the Government said that in 2014 labour relations were terminated with 565,000 employees while 93 percent of them did not receive severance pay. Meanwhile the remaining 7 percent who received severance pay worked in the public sector.

The new social model prepared by scientists and the Ministry of Social Security and Labour amends nearly 40 legal acts.

It is forbidden to copy the text of this publication without a written permission from ELTA.

Two Lithuanians and Norwegian returned to Lithuania in spy swap with Russia

Two Lithuanians and a Norwegian were returned to Lithuania on Friday as part of a spy swap with...

Aviation bomb found and defused in Vilnius

An aviation bomb was found and later neutralized in the Zverynas area of Vilnius on Thursday night.

President pardons 2 Russian spies opening the way for swap with Moscow

President Gitanas Nauseda has granted pardons to two Russian citizens jailed in Lithuania for...

Skusevicius appointed ambassador to Canada

Lithuanian President Gitanas Nauseda on Thursday appointed Deputy Foreign Minister Darius Skusevicius...

MPs reject President Nauseda's second veto

The Lithuanian parliament overrode on Thursday a presidential veto on its decision to add two road...