The State Defence Council, summoned by President Dalia Grybauskaitė on Monday, is to decide whether Lithuania should keep military conscription indefinitely.
© DELFI / Mindaugas Ažušilis

Last year, Lithuania temporarily reintroduced compulsory military service, planning to draft about 3,000 young men annually for five years.

President Grybauskaitė has said, however, that conscription should continue after 2020.

Last week, the president said that the State Defence Council, made up of the country's political and military leadership, would make the decision this week.

Lieutenant General Jonas Vytautas Žukas, Lithuania's chief of defence, agrees that the country should have a mixed army made up of professional serviceman and draftees.

Meanwhile Minister of National Defence Juozas Olekas has been more cautious on the issue, saying that the government and the army should first look into possibilities to man the military with professional soldiers.

Parliament will not consider LRT ad ban bill

Lithuanian lawmakers decided on Tuesday not to consider a proposal to ban all advertising on the...

Nauseda backs Poland in judicial reform dispute with Brussels

Lithuanian President Gitanas Nauseda on Tuesday said he's against the proposal for the European...

Parliament approves e-residency status for foreigners

The Lithuanian parliament passed on Tuesday a legal amendment that will allow foreigners to obtain...

Ruling party's leader wins confidence vote

Ramunas Karbauskis , leader of the Lithuanian Farmers and Greens Union (LFGU), won a confidence...

Father: Paleckis banned from seeing family members

Algirdas Paleckis , former leader of the Socialist People's Front who is suspected of spying for...