aA
After two Latvian companies claimed tens of millions of euros in damages from Lietuvos Geležinkeliai (Lithuanian Railways) for the the dismantling of a railway track to Renge a decade ago, the neighboring country's Transport Ministry says it does not plan to take action against Lithuania.
Latvian ministry doesn't not consider claim to Lithuanian Railways over Renge track
© DELFI / Domantas Pipas

"The Ministry of Transport has not planned to turn against Lithuanian Railways or the Republic of Lithuania due to possible losses," Aivis Vincevs, a public relations officer at the Latvian ministry, told BNS.

Latvijas Dzelzcels (Latvian Railways) in early September submitted a claim to Lietuvos Geležinkeliai for 57 million euros in compensation for lost profits and LDz Cargo, a subsidiary of the Latvian company, demanded another 25.4 million euros.

Vincevs said the two companies had exercised their right to claim damages.

"The Ministry of Transport has been informed about claims submitted by Latvijas Dzelzcels and LDz Cargo to Lithuanian Railways. We note that these claims have been filed on the basis of the decision of the European Commission (...), which recognized the violation of Lithuanian railway competition. As a result of this violation, companies in the sector can suffer losses, and according to the latest news, the companies of the Latvian railway sector have exercised their right to appeal against Lithuanian Railways for damages," he said.

When asked whether other Latvian companies, such as seaports, were planning to file claims, the spokesman said the ministry did not have such information.

"The Ministry of Transport does not have information on whether another company could file a claim for compensation. The Ministry of Transport does not collect such information and does not plan to do so," he said.

The Latvian ports of Riga, Liepaja and Ventspils could not be reached for comment by BNS.

Lietuvos Geležinkeliai CEO Mantas Bartuška said a week ago that the company was keeping to a plan for restoring traffic on the line, which it intends to rebuild by the end of the year.

The European Commission last year imposed a fine of 27.87 million euros on Lietuvos Geležinkeliai for hindering competition in the rail freight market by dismantling the Renge track in 2008.

BNS
It is prohibited to copy and republish the text of this publication without a written permission from UAB „BNS“.

Police free Polish citizen kidnapped for ransom

Lithuanian police have freed a Polish citizen who was kidnapped for ransom and also detained his...

President to skip Holocaust forum in Israel

Lithuanian President Gitanas Nauseda has decided not to go to a major Holocaust commutation event in...

Panevezys mayor faces new corruption suspicions

Lithuanian prosecutors and the Special Investigation Service (STT) said on Monday they a conducting...

Police: there was no girl kidnap in Vilnius

There was no girl kidnap in Vilnius, the Lithuanian capital's police said on Friday night.

Ex presidential candidate Juozaitis becomes party leader

Former presidential candidate philosopher Arvydas Juozaitis was on Saturday elected chairman of the...

Top news

President to skip Holocaust forum in Israel

Lithuanian President Gitanas Nauseda has decided not to go to a major Holocaust commutation event in...

Police free Polish citizen kidnapped for ransom

Lithuanian police have freed a Polish citizen who was kidnapped for ransom and also detained his...

Expert: internet names registered for personal use remains high

The Internet Service Centre DOMREG at Kaunas University of Technology (KTU) – the registry of...

Belarus offered alternative amid supply row with Russia

A crude shipment from Norway for Belarus is expected to arrive in the port of Klaipeda this week...

Police: there was no girl kidnap in Vilnius

There was no girl kidnap in Vilnius, the Lithuanian capital's police said on Friday night.