Gender pay gap
© Shutterstock nuotr.

The gender pay gap, the difference between men's and women's wages for the same role, has increased in Lithuania to an average of 14.3%, according to the latest figures.

The biggest gap between men's and women's salaries is in the financial and insurance sectors – as much as 38.5%, with big differences also recorded in information and communication (29.5%) and health care and social work (26.3%) sectors.

“Scientists have carried out a study about the pay gap and, in their view, only 40% of the difference between men's and women's wages can be justified by rational reasons. The remaining 60% is simply discrimination against women,” said Equality Center expert Margarita Jankauskaitė.

Rupsys: EUR 10 mln drop in defense budget will affect tactical training

A 10 million euro drop in defense fundin g under Lithuania's updated budget bill will make the army...

Small plane crashes in Kaunas killing two people

A small plane crashed in the territory of a residential house in Lithuania's Kaunas District on...

Nauseda slams Russia over ceasefire breaches

Lithuania's President Gitanas Nauseda on Sunday hailed Kyiv's "ambition" to seek peace in eastern...

50 countries ranked by how they collect biometric data and what they do with it

From passport photos to accessing bank accounts with fingerprints , the use of biometrics is...

Liubajevas proposed for head of border guard service

Lithuania's Ministry of the Interior is nominating Rustamas Liubajevas , head of the ministry's...