aA
Lithuanian press may be under heavy attack by foreign hackers. The first victim was the independent news website “The Baltic Review” whose English and German version “Baltische Rundschau” were hacked and totally destroyed last week.
Baltic Review brought down by hackers
Baltic Review brought down by hackers

“As a result, all these portals went down and the server, where we kept the backups of files and all databases, was broken. We suspect that this attack was organized by some special secret services,” reported “The Baltic Review” on its own site.

The site went down on 4 March and returned back on line only three days later, on 7 March. The owner and editor in chief, Dr. Ingwar Heinrich Lotz, said to the Lithuania Tribune that it was not the first time that the news portals are under attack by professional hackers.

“During the last couple of years we had to change our servers twice due to hackers’ attacks,” said Dr. Lotz and added that this time the damage done was much greater than before, “They destroyed not only the sites and the servers, but also all the backups that were placed in totally different location.”

Dr. Lotz is sure that it is a work of professional hackers. “The fact that this is the work not of ordinary hackers, is quite clear,” he said. “My good friend, who used to work at the Lithuanian State Security Department, used his channels and found that it was the work of certain spacial services”.

Dr. Lotz, who worked almost nonstop during the last several days in order to re-build the sites, said that during the “last month, we launched two new projects: ‘The Baltic Citizen Reporter’ and ‘The Baltic Media Sotck’ where we plan to give some experience to young journalists who would like to learn about the profession. But less than a month after they had been launched online, they were destroyed together with our main portals.”

Regarding to the question of who is the responsible for the damage, Dr. Lotz said that there were many suspects, but “without proof, I can’t blame publicly any person or any organization.”

|Populiariausi straipsniai ir video

Health ministry expands list of risky territories over coronavirus

Lithuania's Health Ministry has put Hong Kong , Iran, South Korea and Singapore onto the list...

Lithuania declares nationwide emergency due to coronavirus threat

The Lithuanian government declared on Wednesday a nationwide emergency in an effort to minimize...

Police chief in Kaunas Zukauskas sacked

Darius Zukauskas , chief of Kaunas County Chief Police Commissariat , has been dismissed from the...

Installation of Chinese CCTV in Kaunas raises security concern

The installation of a CCTV system produced by Chinese company Hikvision in Lithuania's...

Foreing ministry asks people to refrain from trips to Tenerife city

Lithuania's Ministry of Foreign Affairs has asked people to refrain from trips to the Tenerife...

Top news

Health ministry expands list of risky territories over coronavirus

Lithuania's Health Ministry has put Hong Kong , Iran, South Korea and Singapore onto the list...

Coronavirus emergency may mean restrictions, release from obligations for firms

The Lithuanian government's decision to declare a state-level emergency due to the coronavirus...

Vilnius is 7th most accessible city in Europe

Vilnius came in 7th place beating many other European tourist hotspots.

Zalgiris: Friday's Euroleague match against Milan team to go ahead as planned

Friday's Euroleague match between Zalgiris Kaunas and AX Armani Milan in Lithuania's...

Installation of Chinese CCTV in Kaunas raises security concern

The installation of a CCTV system produced by Chinese company Hikvision in Lithuania's...

|Maža didelių žinių kaina