A new list of candidates for the military draft will be compiled in three weeks, the Ministry of National Defence announced on Monday. However, people who were on the old list but have not reported for medical check-ups will not get off the hook and will be hit with fines.
© I. Budzeikaitės nuotr.

Around 20% of draftees in the former list have not reported to recruitment offices, according to Defence Ministry spokeswoman Viktorija Cieminytė. The percentage is even higher in the Vilnius region.

Cieminytė said: “The search for conscripts who have not reported when ordered is carried out continuously, to this day there are instructions repeatedly sent out to those military draftees who have not answered to the summons, to their families, employers, [and] the police were asked to assist in some cases. In collaboration with the Police Department and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the search for conscripts avoiding their duties will be intensified in the near future.”

Those who have failed to report to military recruitment offices without a valid reason are facing fines between €28 and €289 or criminal liability and imprisonment for up to 3 years.

Major Žygimantas Adamonis, the head of the Conscription and Manning Department at the National Defence Volunteer Force Headquarters, said that more than 8,000 conscripts had been reported to the police.

According to Major Adamonis, there are a little over 200 volunteers who have signed up for military service next year, though not all of them have had medical examinations yet.

The list will be made public on January 11, 2016 and the first group of draftees will begin military service on April 4.

President signs 'spy swap' bill into law

Lithuanian President Gitanas Nauseda has signed into law a bill detailing the president's right to...

Remains of another partisan found in Vilnius

The remains of Lithuanian partisan Juozapas Streikus-Stumbras have been found at Orphans' Cemetery...

Vilnius politicians agree on demolition of kindergarten built on top of Great Synagogue

Vilnius Municipal Council last week deemed the kindergarten built on top of the remains of the...

Lithuania and Poland complete arrangements for state reburial of 1863 insurgents

Representatives of the Lithuanian and Polish government completed earlier this week the last...

Court extends ex-judge's arrest for 2 months

The Kaunas District Court extended on Friday the arrest warrant for Neringa Venckiene for two...