"I believe this attack will renew discussions, if we speak about UNESCO position. As it seems to be getting out of control and this phenomenon is expanding," Gelūnas told BNS by phone from Paris.
The ambassador said he was shocked by the incident.
"Ironically, I was meeting the Australian ambassador at the time … and we spoke that journalists' safety and free access to the internet, to information is an absolute priority. And I went to have lunch and my phone received a French media alert that 10 Charlie Hebdo journalists and other staff members had been killed and then the death toll kept rising. It's an unprecedented incident, an outrageous attack in the very centre of a Western capital," Gelūnas said.
The diplomat said security was likely to be stepped up for some time.
"There were media reports just now that security is being stepped up at metro stations, big shops, places of worship – everywhere where there are large numbers of people. It's not the first time in Paris, so it seems that after this incident when 12 people were killed and 24 injured, security will be tightened form some time until the culprits are found," Gelūnas said.
On 24 September 2018, Rasa Juknevičienė , Head of the Seimas Delegation to the NATO PA, came to...
Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaitė is leaving on Tuesday for New York City to attend the...