President Dalia Grybauskaitė said on Monday that Lithuania was ready to defend itself in the event of Russian aggression as she commented on the latest annual threat assessment report by the country's intelligence services.
President Dalia Grybauskaitė in Klaipėda
© LRPK / Robertas Dačkus

The president also dismissed worries voiced by Defence Minister Raimundas Karoblis that NATO's plans "may not be as fast as we would want them to be" and that "additional NATO forces would not arrive at such speeds".

The State Security Department and the Second Investigation Department under the Ministry of Defense said in their annual threat assessment that Russia had built up military forces in its western part and in the exclave of Kaliningrad and would be able to launch combat activities against the Baltic states with 24 to 48 hours' notice.

"I don't comment on statements by individual Lithuanian ministers and politicians. We are ready to defend ourselves. We have defense plans in place. We have a rapid reaction force we have created ourselves and we are creating the third brigade for this purpose. We also have agreements on a bilateral basis," Grybauskaitė said.

The president said that the level of threats in Lithuania had been unchanged in recent years.

"The level of threats remains the same as it was last year and the year before last. We have a neighbor whose readiness to perform certain aggressive actions has always been at that level. Nothing has changed. There's nothing new here," Grybauskaitė said.

"And Lithuania is ready to defend itself. In the wake of the occupation of Crimea, we have ourselves developed a rapid reaction force that is able to respond within an hour if there is a threat to our territory," she added.

Leave a comment
or for anonymous commenting click here
By posting, you agree to terms
Read comments Read comments

Lithuanian PM to meet NATO chief over additional support

Lithuanian Prime Minister Saulius Skvernelis is to meet NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg...

Seimas panel head to propose to raise intelligence body funding by EUR 4 mln - media

Vytautas Bakas , chairman of the Seimas Committee on National Security and Defense , will propose to...

Fake news on 'NATO plans to attack Belarus' planted on Lithuanian news website - media

A fake news story alleging that NATO is planning to attack Belarus was planted on Kas Vyksta Kaune...

Lithuanian troops to be decorated after Mali deployment

Lithuanian soldiers of the 1st Territorial Unit, Dainava Military District, National Defense Volunteer...

Seimas allows Lithuania to send more troops to international operations

Lithuania will be able send more troops and civilians to international operations in the next two years.