Lithuania's police on Monday launched a pre-trial investigation into the recent hacking of the website of Joint Staff of the Lithuanian Armed Forces. The website itself is now shut down for upgrading.
© Reuters/Scanpix

Captain Donatas Suchockis, PR officer of the Lithuanian army's Joint Staff, told BNS that army representatives had handed over information on the hacking incident, collected by the National Cyber Security Centre, to the police.

Ramūnas Matonis, head of the Police Department's Communication Division, told BNS a pre-trial investigation had been launched based on Part 1 of Chapter 198 of Lithuania's Criminal Code, stipulating criminal liability, a fine of up to three years in prison, for the appropriation of computer information, protected by law, about a legal or natural person.

False information was published on the website last Wednesday after it was hacked. The statement said that one of the aims of the Exercise Saber Strike was to prepare for the annexation of the Russian region of Kaliningrad.

BNS
It is prohibited to copy and republish the text of this publication without a written permission from UAB „BNS“.
Leave a comment
or for anonymous commenting click here
By posting, you agree to terms
Read comments Read comments

Lithuanian PM to meet NATO chief over additional support

Lithuanian Prime Minister Saulius Skvernelis is to meet NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg...

Seimas panel head to propose to raise intelligence body funding by EUR 4 mln - media

Vytautas Bakas , chairman of the Seimas Committee on National Security and Defense , will propose to...

Fake news on 'NATO plans to attack Belarus' planted on Lithuanian news website - media

A fake news story alleging that NATO is planning to attack Belarus was planted on Kas Vyksta Kaune...

Lithuanian troops to be decorated after Mali deployment

Lithuanian soldiers of the 1st Territorial Unit, Dainava Military District, National Defense Volunteer...

Seimas allows Lithuania to send more troops to international operations

Lithuania will be able send more troops and civilians to international operations in the next two years.