Preparations to receive conscripts is going smoothly and the biggest challenges is now faced by instructors, Lithuanian Minister of National Defence Juozas Olekas said on Tuesday after evaluating preparations to receive conscripts in Klaipėda.
© A.Pliadžio nuotr.

"A lot of work has been done, including renovation of living quarters, the training base. Troops will have normal service conditions," the minister told BNS after visiting the Grand Duke Butigeidis Dragoon Battalion.

In his words, part of works will continue during the training period, therefore "troops will end their service in better conditions than they started".

The battalion is set to accept next week 495 conscripts who will serve for nine months. They all joined the army voluntarily.

According to Olekas, the battalion will be joined by "very different people with different education and level of preparedness" therefore "it will be a great challenge for instructors to train the troops".

"But I think our instructors are ready and mutual understanding will appear after the first days of service," the minister said.

Lithuania reintroduced mandatory military service earlier this year and needed 3,000 conscripts in 2015. But no person will probably be summoned for mandatory service against his will this year, Olekas said, after over 2,500 people expressed their will to join the army voluntarily.

BNS
It is prohibited to copy and republish the text of this publication without a written permission from UAB „BNS“.
Leave a comment
or for anonymous commenting click here
By posting, you agree to terms
Read comments Read comments

Lithuanian PM to meet NATO chief over additional support

Lithuanian Prime Minister Saulius Skvernelis is to meet NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg...

Seimas panel head to propose to raise intelligence body funding by EUR 4 mln - media

Vytautas Bakas , chairman of the Seimas Committee on National Security and Defense , will propose to...

Fake news on 'NATO plans to attack Belarus' planted on Lithuanian news website - media

A fake news story alleging that NATO is planning to attack Belarus was planted on Kas Vyksta Kaune...

Lithuanian troops to be decorated after Mali deployment

Lithuanian soldiers of the 1st Territorial Unit, Dainava Military District, National Defense Volunteer...

Seimas allows Lithuania to send more troops to international operations

Lithuania will be able send more troops and civilians to international operations in the next two years.