Cyber attacks against information systems of Lithuania's state institutions were committed by three underage individuals, including two citizens of Lithuania and a Dane, the Lithuanian Prosecutor General's Office said.
Cyber attack
© Shutterstock

"Suspicions were brought against three individuals. One of them is a foreign citizen, a citizen of Denmark. All of the suspects are underage (…). The pre-trial investigation in connection to one of the suspects, the foreign citizen, has been separated and will be transferred to prosecution by relevant Danish institutions," the office said in a response to BNS.

According to the statement, the 2016 investigation in connection to the Dane was not finished.

Andzejus Roginskis, deputy chief of the Lithuanian Criminal Police Bureau, told journalists on Tuesday that, in the police opinion, all persons linked with the attacks had been identified. He did not comment on whether a foreign country could have had an interest in the attacks.

As the server of the Information Society Development Committee came under a cyber attack at the end of April last year, information technologies systems of over a dozen of state institutions were affected.

The affected institutions included the parliament, the President's Office, the government, many ministries and various state institutions, including the State Tax Inspectorate and the Central Project Management Agency.

Specialists have described the biggest attacks in Lithuania's history as rather amateur, however, were astonished over the resources involved – the so-called botnet network intended for remote control of computers, which covered nearly 8-10,000 computers, and other instruments that cost a substantial amount of money.

In its report of threats, the State Security Department has identified cyber hackers linked with Russia, including Russian intelligence and security services, as the biggest threat to national security.

Leave a comment
or for anonymous commenting click here
By posting, you agree to terms
Read comments Read comments

Lithuanian PM to meet NATO chief over additional support

Lithuanian Prime Minister Saulius Skvernelis is to meet NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg...

Seimas panel head to propose to raise intelligence body funding by EUR 4 mln - media

Vytautas Bakas , chairman of the Seimas Committee on National Security and Defense , will propose to...

Fake news on 'NATO plans to attack Belarus' planted on Lithuanian news website - media

A fake news story alleging that NATO is planning to attack Belarus was planted on Kas Vyksta Kaune...

Lithuanian troops to be decorated after Mali deployment

Lithuanian soldiers of the 1st Territorial Unit, Dainava Military District, National Defense Volunteer...

Seimas allows Lithuania to send more troops to international operations

Lithuania will be able send more troops and civilians to international operations in the next two years.