aA
Russian, Belarusian and Ukrainian citizens charged in the January 13, 1991, coup in Lithuania case may stand trial in absentia, a Vilnius court ruled on Friday.
January 13 coup suspects may be tried in absentia, Vilnius court rules
© DELFI / Mindaugas Ažušilis

Judge Ainora Kornelija Macevičienė announced that the case would be considered on the merits after exploring all possibilities to contact the defendants and notify them of the hearings.

The judicial proceedings in Vilnius are attended by only two Russian citizens, former Soviet officers, while more than 60 other defendants are abroad, mainly in Russia. The Soviet Union's former defence minister Dmitriy Yazov is among them.

The judge said prosecutors had turned to Russia, Belarus and Ukraine in the course of the investigation with requests to deliver notices to the defendants about the suspicions and the European Arrest Warrants, but positive responses were received from Ukraine only.

"The requests were sent to Prosecutor General's Offices of Russia, Belarus and Ukraine. It was only the Ukrainian prosecutors who executed the requests for legal assistance," said the judge on Friday.

The defendants are represented by dozens of lawyers in the Vilnius trial.

Reading of the indictment was started at the hearing on Friday.

In early hours of January 13, 1991, the Soviet Union's military units attacked the Vilnius Television Tower and the Radio and Television Committee Building, killing 14 unarmed civilians.

In 1999, six people were sentenced to jail terms in the trial of establishing anti-state organizations and other crimes. The war crimes and crimes against humanity investigation made progress after adoption of legal amendments on trial in absentia.

BNS
It is prohibited to copy and republish the text of this publication without a written permission from UAB „BNS“.
|Populiariausi straipsniai ir video

Government initiates campaign 'Thank You, Lithuania' plans short concerts

Lithuania's government is initiating a thank campaign „Thank You, Lithuania" and plans organizing...

Head of opera theater estimates quarantine losses

Lithuania's National Opera and Ballet Theater has probably lost one million euros because of the...

Director Kaupinis wins German film festival's best director award

Lithuanian film director Karolis Kaupinis won the best director award for his debut feature, Nova...

Bishops permit public Masses on Sundays

Roman Catholic churches in Lithuania will be able to celebrate Masses with congregations on all...

Mission Siberia 2020 cancelled due to coronavirus pandemic

Mission Siberia , an expedition organized annually to tend to graves of Lithuanian deportees and...

Top news

Lockdown relaxation triggers spike in traveling in the Baltic countries

Relaxation of lockdown restrictions and the reopening of borders between the Baltic States have...

Lithuania could apply for EUR 6.3 billion from EU recovery fund

The European Commission has proposed that Lithuania could apply for 6.3 billion euros from the new...

5 new coronavirus cases in Lithuania

On Saturday, 5 new COVID-19 cases were detected in Lithuania. So far, Lithuania has recorded 1675...

Alcohol-related deaths up after going down for decade

The number of Lithuanian residents with alcohol -related inched down slightly last year but the...

Pandemic threats: how lockdown affected startups

The COVID-19 pandemic faced by the world paralyzed a significant number of businesses ....

|Maža didelių žinių kaina