In the first week of January the average electricity price in Nord Pool Spot power market Lithuanian trading zone went up and reached EUR 43.45 per megawatt hour, electricity transmission system operator Litgrid announced.
© V.Cesevičiūtės nuotr.

According to Litgrid, short-term closure of a nuclear power plant in Sweden on 28 December caused higher average electricity price between 29 December and 4 January. Lower electricity supply led to price spike on 29 December and the same happened again on 4 January. Oskarshamn Nuclear Power Plant is not operational yet, but the reduced energy supply has been compensated by a substantial increase in hydroelectric energy generation which allowed electricity prices to remain sufficiently stable.

In the first week of 2015, electricity generation by wind power plants accounted for over a third of all electricity generated in Lithuania, or 11 percent of consumed electricity. Last week 29 percent of consumed electricity was generated in Lithuania while the remaining 71 percent was imported. 47 percent of electricity was imported from the north and 53 percent from the east.

From 29 December to 4 January, international Latvia-Estonia electricity link throughput was on average used at 87 percent, Lithuania-Latvia at 33 percent, Lithuania-Kaliningrad at 89 percent and Lithuania-Belarus at 14 percent.

Lithuanian laser professionals at world's largest laser photonics exhibition

On June 24-27 Lithuanian laser manufacturers will present their latest technologies in the most...

Opinion. Public procurement: which law amendments are significant and which are merely formal?

Every time, amendments of public procurement legislation attract a lot of attention, however, it...

Klaipeda introduced high schools’ students to the future of engineering

Last week Klaipėda city development agency " Klaipėda ID " for the second year in a row organized...

Minister: chief forest officer stays for now

Marius Pulkauninkas , chief forest officer of the State Forestry Enterprise of Lithuania, is staying...

Lithuanian and Polish operators ask for EU support for submarine cable

Lithuanian and Polish power transmissio n companies Litgrid and PSE have asked the EU for financial...