aA
The Lithuanian government decided on Wednesday to turn to a EU court over a 28-million-euro fine that imposed by the European Commission on Lietuvos Geležinkeliai (Lithuanian Railways) for hindering competition by removing a rail track to Latvia, Transport Minister Rokas Masiulis said on Wednesday.
Lietuvos Geležinkeliai
Lietuvos Geležinkeliai
© DELFI / Domantas Pipas

(Updates throughout)

Prime Minister Saulius Skvernelis said that the government had also decided to "rebuild the infrastructure", that is, the 19-kilometre track from the Mažeikiai crude refinery, in northern Lithuania, to Renge in Latvia, which was dismantled back in 2008.

"A decision was made to oblige Lietuvos Geležinkeliai to go (to court) for the fine to be annulled or reduced," Masiulis told reporters after the Cabinet's meeting.

"As to restoring the functionality of the Renge section: Lietuvos Geležinkeliai will have to work out a project first and coordinate it with the European Commission, and the government will then decide where to find the money," he said.

According to the minister, Lithuania has arguments for reducing the fine or perhaps even annulling it altogether.

Lietuvos Geležinkeliai CEO Mantas Bartuška said in October that the state railway company was likely to start rebuilding the Renge track shortly. He could not say how much this would cost the company. Earlier estimates put the cost at around 20 million euros.

The European Commission imposed the fine on Oct. 2 and gave Lietuvos Geležinkeliai three months to draw up a plan to correct the situation and coordinate it with the EU's executive body. The company has until Dec. 18 to challenge the decision before the EU General Court.

Poland's oil group Orlen, which filed a complaint with the Commission over the removal of the Renge stretch, has welcomed Lietuvos Geležinkeliai's promise to rebuild it. Orlen's Lithuanian crude refinery used the route to transport its oil products to Latvia and Estonia before the track was dismantled in 2008.

BNS
It is prohibited to copy and republish the text of this publication without a written permission from UAB „BNS“.
|Populiariausi straipsniai ir video

Ukraine’s Autocephaly: first results and possible influence on Orthodox world

Nearly three months ago, on January 6, Patriarch Bartholomew signed the Tomos of Autocephahy for the...

After Strasbourg Court conclusion, MEP urges Amazon to treat Soviet symbols like Nazi’s

Last week European Court of Human Rights officially recognized that the crimes of Soviet soldiers...

PM considers China as most important trading partner in Asia

Lithuanian Prime Minister Saulius Skvernelis said on Wednesday that Lithuania attaches great...

Lithuania ratifies North Macedonia's NATO accession protocol

The Lithuanian parliament (Seimas) unanimously ratified on Thursday North Macedonia's NATO accession...

Lithuania calls on Belarus to reconsider nuclear power plant construction

Lithuanian Prime Minister Saulius Skvernelis has called on neighboring Belarus to reconsider its...

Top news

1st coronavirus case confirmed in Lithuania (1)

The first coronavirus case was confirmed in Lithuania early Friday morning, the country's Health...

Hundreds of fans ask for refund of tickets to Zalgiris' Euroleague game

Several hundred basketball fans have asked for refunds of their tickets to the upcoming Friday game...

First Lithuanian coronavirus patient's family members undergoing tests

The Lithuanian woman, 39, who was diagnosed with the new coronavirus on Friday, evaded contact with...

Health ministry expands list of risky territories over coronavirus

Lithuania's Health Ministry has put Hong Kong , Iran, South Korea and Singapore onto the list...

Vilnius is 7th most accessible city in Europe

Vilnius came in 7th place beating many other European tourist hotspots.

|Maža didelių žinių kaina